The incandescent light bulb era is now over, and savvy consumers have moved on to the superior LED light — the future of household lighting. LED lights are as versatile as old-school incandescent bulbs, but they last much longer, stay cool to the touch and boost your energy efficiency.
LEDs — which stands for “Light-Emitting Diodes” — provide lighting up to 90 percent more efficiently than incandescent lights by passing an electrical current throughout a microchip. The moving current forces small, light-emitting diodes to illuminate, casting brilliant light throughout your space.
With LEDs, you can have a brighter tomorrow and flip the switch on what’s considered “standard” lighting today.
What Are LED Lights?
While you may have only been using LED lights for the past two decades, LED technology is older than you might expect.
LEDs were initially developed in the early 1960s by scientist Nick Holonyak as a new type of laser, not as a replacement for traditional incandescent lighting. Holonyak used gallium arsenide phosphide to color the laser red so he could easily see the light emitting from the diode. Later, Holonyak realized this LED laser could be utilized as an effective light source.
In its early development, LEDs were used in circuit boards, digital watches, calculators and, later, as traffic and brake lights. Nearly 20 years ago, more stores started carrying LED bulbs ranging from elegant chandelier bulbs to versatile bulbs for indoor lamps and large outdoor floodlights. Its unique design features a current moving through a microchip that forces light-emitting diodes to light up. This makes LEDs eco-friendly and helps them last three times longer than incandescents.
How Do Lumens Work?
Watts are the measurement we typically reference when buying lightbulbs. But wouldn’t it make more sense to purchase light bulbs based on how much light they provide? It isn’t traditionally a popular method to measure the light output of a bulb by lumens, but it is the most appropriate method for determining LED light output.
A watt is a unit of power that measures the number of joules produced per second by the bulb. Higher wattages produce a stronger light because they use more power to function. Lumens measure the actual light produced by the bulb when it’s set on its highest brightness setting. The higher the lumen count, the brighter the lightbulb.
Why Don’t LED Bulbs Get Hot?
There’s nothing worse than changing an incandescent bulb that’s gone out, only to burn your fingers on the burning hot glass. When you make the switch to LED bulbs, you’ll never have to worry about burnt fingertips again.
LEDs use advanced light sinks to absorb the heat produced by the LED, dispersing it into the nearby surroundings. LEDs use a variety of different heat sink designs to manage the heat output, but the most popular types mimic the shapes and sizes of standard incandescent bulbs.
Reasons to Switch to LEDs
When you stop by your local hardware store, you may find the selection of different light bulbs and lighting solutions overwhelming. With cheaper and familiar incandescent bulbs neatly lining the shelves, why should you consider making the switch to LED bulbs?
By swapping out your incandescent bulbs with LEDs, you can experience a range of useful advantages:
- Longer Bulb Lifespan: Put the box of replacement bulbs away and stash the step ladder. With LED lights, you won’t have to replace your home’s lightbulbs nearly as often as before. LED lights last up to six times longer than other lighting alternatives and brighten your world for between 50,000 and 100,000 operating hours. With longer bulb lifespans, you can save money on replacements and support reduced manufacturing, including bulb construction materials, packaging and transportation.
- Improved Color Rendering: Color rendering is the bulb’s ability to reveal the actual color of an object compared to a natural light source. A higher color rendering signifies a more accurate view of an object. LEDs have a very high color rendering rating compared to other light sources.
- Light Dispersion: LED bulbs have superior light distribution and focus in a single direction compared to other lighting types that can waste energy by scattering light in every direction, like the ceiling. LED lights are able to produce a brighter light, meaning you need fewer bulbs for the same light output.
- Long-Term Utility Savings: On first look, the upfront costs of LED bulbs may seem too costly to manage. But the future savings are well worth the initial expenses. LED lights are becoming more cost-effective compared to incandescent bulbs. They can last for several years before replacement and can reduce your household’s energy consumption by at least 70 percent.
- Flexible Design Options: LEDs can be utilized in nearly any type of application, from large spotlights to small handheld devices or strung out in an attractive sequence. In expansive settings or the most cramped corners, LED lights can be used in any type of device you can imagine.
Benefits of LEDs for the Environment
With LED bulbs in your favorite light fixtures, you can also embrace your inner flower child. Along with the significant advantages of LED lights, LEDs are also an eco-friendly lighting solution. Some of the unbeatable benefits of LEDs for the environment include:
- Zero UV Emissions: LED bulbs emit most of their energy in the visible spectrum and nearly none in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum. Ultraviolet light is not only unpleasant, but several of your household items, like furniture, cloth and artwork, can be damaged when exposed to UV light over a prolonged period.
- No Toxic Elements: There’s a reason why most people dislike the harsh glare produced by fluorescent bulbs — they contain noxious chemicals like mercury to produce lighting. Toxic elements like mercury can contaminate the environment when discarded. LED bulbs don’t contain these toxic chemicals, making them a much more eco-friendly and environmentally-conscious lighting solution. When your LED burns out, simply take the bulb to your local recycling center.
- Outstanding Energy Efficiency: LED lights are approximately 80 percent more efficient than fluorescent and incandescent bulbs. LEDs convert 95 percent of their energy consumption into light and only five percent into wasted heat, whereas fluorescents produce an opposite effect. LEDs also demand less power from generation plants and can decrease greenhouse gas emissions.
Where Can I Use Them? Best Uses for LED Lights
Make your home or organization feel like new with LED lights. When replacing your incandescent light bulbs, think outside the box and embrace creative solutions and installations for exceptional LED lighting. LED bulbs are incredibly versatile, and with their variety of sizes and color options, they’re the perfect illumination tool.
Start placing these around your favorite living spaces and in cramped, hard-to-see areas like closets, bookcases and drawers. Consider these other brilliant LED installation ideas too:
- Outdoor living spaces and floating pool lights
- Highlight family photos
- Color-changing faucets
- Behind bar bottles
- Decorative wall silhouettes
Uncommon Lighting Solutions for Common Problems: Dependable LEDs Only at Panther Vision
Open your eyes to brighter and clearer perspectives with LED lighting solutions from Panther Vision. We’ve developed cutting-edge, high-performance LED lights and devices, utilizing the latest designs and improvements for exceptional LED lighting when you need it most. Our selection of caps, eyewear, lamps and flashlights set the bar for LED lighting.
Whether you’re an avid outdoor enthusiast, passionate hobbyist, or proactive homeowner, Panther Vision has created effective and reliable LED lighting for any type of activity. Check out our variety of LED lighting devices such as:
- FLATEYE™ LED Flashlights: With our patented and revolutionary unround design and easy-to-handle pistol grip, our collection of FLATEYE™ flashlights offers comfortable and convenient lighting solutions. Panther Vision’s FLATEYE™ flashlights are shockproof and waterproof, utilize heat dispersion technology and offer varying brightness levels ranging from 310 to 2,100 lumens.
- BUTTON LAMP™ Adhesive LED Lights: When you find yourself squinting in dim areas, all you have to do is pull out Panther Vision’s bright, powerful, and disposable BUTTON LAMPs™ in order to achieve a clear view. These economical lamps have the same power and potential of a regular-sized bulb but in a more convenient package. Stick a BUTTON LAMP™ just about anywhere! Take them with you on your next outdoor adventure, stick them in dark closets, drawers or shelves, place them in your vehicle or keep them handy in an emergency kit.
- POWERCAP® Hands-Free Lighted Hats: Never let a lack of lighting keep you cooped-up indoors. With Panther Vision’s wide selection of POWERCAP® hands-free LED lighting devices, you can finally achieve your most adventurous dreams. Wear your POWERCAP® anytime and anywhere for camping and hiking trips, morning runs, hunting excursions and fishing trips, or even just for finishing household chores. If you find your view obscured, simply click the hidden switch in the cap’s brim to completely illuminate your surroundings with brilliant, long-lasting LED light.
- LIGHTSPECS® Reading and Safety Glasses: Make out even the most minute details with help from LIGHTSPECS®. Available in reading and safety styles, our ultra-bright, ANSI-rated specs make reading, crafts, repair projects and daily tasks much easier.
Explore Our Variety of Powerful LED Products
Whether you’re trekking on the side of a mountain as the sun sets, casting an early morning line or just need a durable and dependable lighting solution for your favorite everyday activities, you can trust that Panther Vision has the largest variety of powerful, ultra-bright LED handheld and hands-free solutions.
What makes Panther Vision unique is our passion for creating innovative and useful lighting devices to make your days and your life easier and more convenient. We strive to always understand the diverse needs of our customers and to create distinctive LED lighting devices that meet your needs and expectations. As an added perk, all of our products are ANSI-rated and backed by lifetime limited warranties.
Check out our wide selection of versatile LED lighting solutions or learn more about our products by calling us today at 847-783-5900.