How Does Cold Weather Affect Lithium Batteries?
Batteries in cold weather can experience a reduced battery life.
If you live in a cold weather climate, you’ve likely experienced your cell phone or other electronics being zapped of power very quickly. One minute the battery is at 100%, then before you know it, the battery has died completely. So how does temperature affect lithium batteries, and how are lithium batteries affected by the cold?
Lithium Batteries Temperature Range
Lithium batteries rely on chemical reactions to work, and the cold can slow and even stop those reactions from occurring. Although these batteries handle cold better than most others, very low temperatures still affect their ability to store and release energy.
Since cold conditions drain these batteries, cold temperatures and weather are bad for lithium batteries. As a result, you will need to charge them more often. Unfortunately, charging them in low temperatures is not as effective as doing so under normal weather conditions because the ions that provide the charge do not move properly in cold weather.
How Cold Is Too Cold For Lithium Batteries?
Contrary to popular belief, you should not put batteries in your refrigerator or freezer. You should not let the temperature of your lithium batteries fall below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, because the batteries will no longer be able to accept the same amount of charging current as they did prior to reaching the freezing temperature.
How to Properly Store and Protect Lithium Batteries
- Storing them in the proper temperature: Keep your lithium batteries in a place that does not get colder than 32 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer than 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Charging them regularly: Ideally, lithium batteries should never be completed uncharged, so it’s important to remember to charge your batteries in the winter months when they are most prone to quick loss of power.
- Cleaning them: Corrosion and dirt can cause the battery to lose charge faster, which decreases its lifespan, so it’s important to keep your lithium batteries clean. You can use a mix of water and baking soda for a gentle cleaning.
- Using high-quality versions: A battery’s longevity is especially important during the winter, so make sure to invest in high-quality brands that will last. At Panther Vision, our lithium batteries have a long lifespan that you can count on.
Choose Panther Vision Lithium Batteries
At Panther Vision, we’ve developed our own batteries that rival top brands with their reliability and longevity. Our four-packs of 3-volt lithium batteries will give you the light and power you need for any dimly lit scenario, whether it’s your worksite or campsite. Keep them with you in your backpack, desk drawer and car so that you always have backups available when you need them.
Our three different types of lithium batteries include:
- CR2032: Our most common type of lithium battery. Powers our POWERCAP lighted caps, safety glasses and lighted reading glasses and more.
- CR1632: Used in glucose meters, watches, keyless entry fobs and more. Smaller than our CR2032 batteries.
- CR927: Used in toys, calculators, blinkers, our Night Cheaters reading glasses and more.
Our batteries are built to power your tools and devices over the long term. If you have questions about them or any of our other products, feel free to fill out our online form. Someone from our customer service team will get back to you within 24 hours with the answers you need.